Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tesla
I suppose Tesla is similar, since it is an EV.

I sat in my first Tesla(s) today.  The X had the powered doors, which was cool, but I liked the S much better.  One thing that I loved about the X was the windshield.  I'm not sure how well it would work here in AZ with the heat and the sun, but the forward/upward visibility was terrific.  If that tint is dark enough so that I wouldn't be blinded or sunburnt, it would be my favorite windshield of all time.

The base S (60 - rwd) is still out of my price range, but the other specs are within acceptable ranges.  All said and done, I was quite impressed.  Since I'm not in the market, I'd feel a bit guilty taking one on a test drive, buy I still might do it just for fun.
I'm done.
[+] 2 users Like flying_solo's post
Good news on the Tesla.  I value your comments.  That swooping front to back windshield is designed into the Tesla Model 3 as well.  They said the largest single glass panel windshield known to mankind.  I could be exaggerating. (See photo) 

I happen to have a reservation deposit on the Tesla Model 3 and am anxiously awaiting the start of production.  I am somewhere in the #180,000 out of 300,000+ total reservations thus far.  I'm guessing 2018 or beyond delivery schedule.........could be sooner knowing the CEO's reputation to get r done.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_5459.JPG (Size: 38.99 KB / Downloads: 115)
SOLO #166 reservation refunded 12/14/2017.   OVER & OUT!  
The salesman said the 3's would start delivery in late 2017, and I didn't push the issue. I have my reservations about the Tesla, rather than having a reservation on a Tesla, but I really was quite favorably impressed. If I had a $70k car budget, I would be sorely tempted by the S 60.
I'm done.
LOL! I have reservations about the Tesla and a Tesla reservation. I am fascinated by EV's and will risk the $35K + an option for a trial ownership experience. I hope to have a few miles on either the Solo or SRK Ev's by the time Tesla starts the Model 3 production. All my reservations are currently refundable.
.... so are mine .... but are there any conditions attached to requesting a re-fund?
No refund conditions that I'm aware of.  

I have received reservation refunds from Elio Motors, Lit Motors, and Arcimoto without any issue whatsoever.  However, the 2012 Arcimoto refund I resubmitted the minute I saw the SRK Gen 8 reveal.  The Gen 8 was Team Arcimoto's design/engineering turning point.  The SRK will likely best meet my three wheeler needs when it comes to driving comfort.
For giggles, I went over to the Tesla website and browsed around. They have a very nice range estimator/calculator, which shows the ranges for all the models based on speed, outside temp and HVAC usage. Granted that such a calculator has its limitations, but the EPA range estimate and the calculator are much more informative than the MPGe numbers being tossed around.

I think EM would do well to get such a calculator on their website as soon as they can get some real-world numbers entered.

I also watched the Model 3 unveiling video. It seems to me that EM is following the Tesla model. Both in the global warming evangelical nonsense, and in the logical manufacturing process - start with a high-dollar, limited-production, hand-built model, then gradually work into lower pricing and higher production.

I realize that it sounds odd to call a $15k Solo "high dollar" because there is nothing truly equivalent on the market. The Elio doesn't exist, but in its marketing specs it is both larger and carries a significantly lower advertised price. It would seem reasonable to believe that an existing manufacturer could sell a gasoline-powered Solo equivalent for a realistic MSRP of about $8-9k or less, thus my "high-dollar" comment.

Following the Tesla model, it would be cool if ElectraMeccanica would produce a dual-motored, all-wheel-drive Solo. Because of better regen, Tesla's awd models get better range (and acceleration) than the rwd units with the same batteries. My guess would be that EM is limited on how strong of a regen system they can run on the Solo due to the single rear drive wheel. With awd, they should be able to implement single-pedal driving under most conditions.

As long as I'm dreaming, I want an awd, dual-motor Solo with 100+hp, 200+mile range, and an MSRP under $12k. Smile
I'm done.
[+] 1 user Likes flying_solo's post
HI
your dream of "I want an awd, dual-motor Solo with 100+hp, 200+mile range, and an MSRP under $12k" will probably come true in five yrs once the gigantic battery factories from tesla, mercedes, VW, and china come online and more people buy electric cars

battery is the most expensive component
(11-07-2016, 07:52 AM)ram Wrote: HI
your dream of "I want an awd, dual-motor Solo with 100+hp, 200+mile range, and an MSRP under $12k" will probably come true in five yrs  once the gigantic battery factories from tesla, mercedes, VW, and china come online and more people buy electric cars

battery is the most expensive component

You're probably right.  I would hope that it could happen in 3 years, but things tend to take longer and cost more than I expect.
I'm done.
The money three wheeler commuter owners will save on fuel/maintenance by not driving their primary vehicle as a single occupant commuter will help pay for either the Solo or Elio over time.  

The Elio and it's target MSRP are both anticipated.  The final base price is still to be determined.  The $1K ATM and a few other options will move the Elio closer to the Solo's $15K price point.  Frankly, an electric Elio at a $15K price point may be a better value as a commuter vehicle that may have been to market by now.   

The idea of an ICE Solo at any price point is too old school, would lack vision for an urban commuter concept, take up all the frunk space, and may not have the required stability.  Mike Corbin had the vision to move from ICE to Electric with his three wheeler concepts years ago.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_5474.JPG (Size: 38.77 KB / Downloads: 68)
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post