Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chevy Bolt
My wife and I will be in the market to replace our 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid (126k miles) in the next year - or two. We (mainly me) are leaning heavily toward all-electric. We need something in the 200+ mile range (to alleviate her anxiety). With what will be on the market late 2017-18, that leaves the Tesla Model3, the Nissan Leaf 2 (if Nissan is hinting their intentions truthfully), and the Chevy Bolt.
   Now, I'm not a huge GM fanboy (I've owned several makes/models), but Ford has abandoned EMVs for the foreseeable future (that's okay -for them - they can concentrate on what makes them the most $). So, looking at the Bolt, it seems to fit our families needs - with one caveat; it will only be sold in California and Washington initially - states where zero-emission mandates and EV acceptance are stronger.
   I guess living in the corn/soybean fields of Indiana, I should be satisfied w/ their truck/SUV offerings  Huh  My local Chevy Dealer has my email address and has promised to contact me when they have one available to test drive. I'm not holding my breath - I'll just move on to a Nissan or stand in the ever-increasing Tesla Model 3 Que.

So, no, I don't believe the big-boys have much interest in manufacturing EV's - at least not in the US. Obviously, foreign manufacturers from Germany(VW), Japan (Nissan), and a host of other foreign manufacturers will rush in with marketable products to fill the short-sided GM/Ford/Chrysler void. In the back of my mind is this niggling question: Was it really worth saving the archaic US Auto Industry? Of course, I affirm it was the right call - saved countless thousands of manufacturing jobs...But, at what cost? Has the US Auto Industry learned anything at all?

I applaud men like Elon Musk - and Jerry Kroll - and (to a much lesser extent) Paul Elio. TRUE visionaries. We, of course, won't know if I am right for 20 years or so. But, I am willing to bet on it with my checkbook! I'll take a Solo for my appetizer,  followed by a Tesla/Nissan/VW/? for a main course.
2015 Nissan Leaf owner/lover
[+] 1 user Likes STEPHENSOLO's post
I'm in the same boat.  Sounds like Tesla is successfully ramping production numbers for the Model 3.  I decided on making a Model 3 reservation a day or two after the reveal and was as surprised as Elon Musk by the staggering number of early reservations.  I got in around the 180,000 range and feel it is a good investment in a company with a proven product line up.

I applaud Elon Musk as a TRUE visionary because his groundbreaking Vision became a reality.  Jerry Kroll is a visionary breaking ground for his vision.    Paul Elio's vision is clouded by far too many forward thinking statements.  $100 Million spent over 9 years, no proof of concept, and requiring an additional $300 Million to start production.
SOLO #166 reservation refunded 12/14/2017.   OVER & OUT!  
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
(11-20-2016, 08:00 PM)Rickb Wrote: I'm in the same boat.  Sounds like Tesla is successfully ramping production numbers for the Model 3.  I decided on making a Model 3 reservation a day or two after the reveal and was as surprised as Elon Musk by the staggering number of early reservations.  I got in around the 180,000 range and feel it is a good investment in a company with a proven product line up.

I applaud Elon Musk as a TRUE visionary because his groundbreaking Vision became a reality.  Jerry Kroll is a visionary breaking ground for his vision.    Paul Elio's vision is clouded by far too many forward thinking statements.  $100 Million spent over 9 years, no proof of concept, and requiring an additional $300 Million to start production.

That;s a LOT of  Model 3 reservations to ramp-up production for. Nice to have a visionary product that is so difficult to meet such extraordinary demand. Early days of the iPhone?
Paul shot for the moon (like Elon), but didn't have the financial wherewithal or business acumen to put an effective plan in motion. Hence, the ever-revolving circle-jerk we've seen for years now. Too bad, imagine if he had simply engineered it correct to begin with,  made say, 10 per month, gotten those into the hands of early reservationists and out onto the road throughout the US, ramped-up production slowly....wait isn't this starting to sound a little familiar....? Nah, he needed to hire a bunch of corporate lackey castoffs, give them titles - a a HUGE salary, and sit around an expensive corporate rental office drinking Frappacino Latte Grandes, saying "Now, what the F*** do we do?" His only 'vision' was the initial concept - What a waste of a napkin.......
2015 Nissan Leaf owner/lover
He did shoot through $100 Million of financial wherewithal.  Smile. I am puzzled by the whole Elio saga, but I believe we may have found a fun little solo commuter EV in the process.  

The Tesla Model 3 and Chevy Bolt are looking very promising as well.  I admit to still having some range anxiety, but the battery cost has come down and the range has increased enough to finally give electric vehicle ownership a trial run. The other issue I have is the lack of a local Tesla Service Center.  The Tesla business model seems to be working for early adopter Tesla Model Owners........and they plan to expand.  I have the same servicing issue regarding the Solo, SRK, and Elio.  When I have a mechanical or warranty issue where is and how reliable is the servicing network?  

The advantage of a Chevy Bolt is access to a Chevy Dealership and Service Center usually within a few miles in small town, USA.
SOLO #166 reservation refunded 12/14/2017.   OVER & OUT!  
Just gimme a Nissan Land Glider .... and I promise to never gripe again!
Article: Chevy Bolt EV electric car range and performance in winter: one owner's log
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/111...owners-log

[Image: 2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-electric-car-tk-p...1525_m.jpg]
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
(01-30-2018, 02:20 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Article: Chevy Bolt EV electric car range and performance in winter: one owner's log

I've lived through a lot of winters and wheeled vehicles of most kinds suffer from icing in wheel-wells. One needs a truck with wide openings to avoid that. I've even had an ICEd vehicle that had the engine-compartment freeze solid with ice. The only solution was idling for an hour to melt it out. There are just some conditions one should avoid with a vehicle. The right conditions of snow, blowing snow, slush, wind, and temperature can stop just about anything.

Then there's heating the interior of the car to indoor temperatures. That's just silly. If we live in winter and wear winter clothing there's no need for that. I drive with gloves, a toque and a parka in winter even with an ICE. What am I going to do if the ICE fails? Just being out of the wind makes low temperatures very comfortable. A tiny bit of heating saves a lot of power. If Solo doesn't have a thermostat, it would be wise to just use heating periodically rather than full on unless it's integrated with battery-heating.

The temperature of the battery is the biggest problem for winter driving of an EV. Lithium cells just die at low temperatures. Many manufacturers don't recommend storage, usage or charging at below -20C. It will take some energy from the battery and body-heat of the driver to keep the battery at an acceptable temperature but maximum range will take a hit. I'd not count on more than 50% of normal range without some particular experience. Short trips from a heated/warm garage should be OK for most of us but long trips are probably out for Solo in winter. Where I live 160km range just reaches some remote charging stations. Lower speed would be necessary in winter and then the heating load just increases, not in Watts, but in Watt-hours and that just sucks the range.

I intend to keep my longer trips for summertime when I will be hunting/gathering/fishing/hunting etc. I don't do much of that in winter. I used to ski cross-country but the limit of my winter exercise now is trips to the mail-box and clearing the driveway of snow. BTW, if global warming keeps going this way, I may not have to clear my driveway ever again. Until today, I've only cleared the driveway of snow once. We have a blizzard with 60km/h winds... 20 years ago, clearing the driveway would have been a weekly event and temperatures were much colder here. 60 years ago, the low temperature on today's date was 30C lower than today. I remember being a little boy then and tunnelling into snowdrifts to warm up. We played outdoors in such weather. No more. Kids stay indoors with their gadgets...
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
[+] 1 user Likes pogson's post