Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
November 8th Live Update
The monthly Electra Meccanica CEO live update on EMV's Facebook page, hosted by Jerry Kroll, will be Wednesday November 8th @ 6pm PDT.

Be sure to post your questions on https://www.facebook.com/EMVsolo/
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
Will October 2 be the live update?
Would like to know how many Solo's have been delivered in the month of September.
Would like to know progress on the certification.
Welcome to The Solo Owners and Future Owners Forum.
Ready for #695
Hi Lynn.

I sent Jerry an email and anticipate posting the information very soon.
Thanks for the reminder!

Lynn, the next CEO update will be Mon. Oct. 16th, so I changed the thread title and the lead post.
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(09-05-2017, 01:30 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: The monthly Electra Meccanica CEO live update on EMV's Facebook page, hosted by Jerry Kroll, will be Thursdayy October 12th @ 6pm PDT.
We're anxious to hear all about the new production deal with  Zongshen Industrial Group and other Solo developments.

Be sure to post your questions at https://www.facebook.com/EMVsolo/photos/...=3&theater

Thanks,     I live by a calendar so I posted on in.  Maybe DiscjockeyDale would be willing to post on calendar when he gets the information.  Thanks
Welcome to The Solo Owners and Future Owners Forum.
Ready for #695
(10-10-2017, 08:38 PM)Lynn D Wrote: Thanks,     I live by a calendar so I posted on in.  Maybe DiscjockeyDale would be willing to post on calendar when he gets the information.  Thanks

I'll give it a try. I believe all members have access to posting on the SoloOwners calendar.
I'd love to see our members utilize this resource as well. Thanks Lynn.
Thursday October 12 CEO update Live: Click to stream the video feed...

(10-12-2017, 09:46 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Live: Click to stream the video feed...
Chuckle. Missed that one. Still, the replay gives some reassurances. Chinese production will stay in China. An 82-pound dog can fit in the trunk. My battery-pack will stay warm down to -40C and range could be 200km from the new packs. They've hired assemblers and think they will reach 10 Solos per month soon. I think they should cut out some of the coffee breaks unless that's mostly to train new assemblers.

Still there's not much news about safety-certification except that they are working on it. Jerry said, in Canada, Solo would be a "car" rather than three wheeled vehicle. I don't understand that unless he's putting in air-bags. Maybe he was meaning licensing/registration/insurance. It was too vague. He said it would be a motorcycle in USA. I thought they were using "autocycle".
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
(10-13-2017, 09:58 AM)pogson Wrote: Chinese production will stay in China... Jerry said, in Canada, Solo would be a "car" rather than three wheeled vehicle. I don't understand that unless he's putting in air-bags. Maybe he was meaning licensing/registration/insurance. It was too vague. He said it would be a motorcycle in USA. I thought they were using "autocycle".

Jerry basically said that he  anticipates Canadian production to stay between 2 and 10 units per month until the first 5,000 Chinese units come rolling in.
He said that production from other places will then, and I quote, "be added to the stream". So, no, according to what Jerry said, Chinese production will most certainly not stay in China.

Several times Jerry said that the Solo will be a "Global Car" or "World Car" and will be made in places like China, India, the US and Europe. I took notes.

I believe that the Solo is considered a car with special considerations in most, if not all, of Canada.
In the US, the federal designation remains a motorcycle, again, with special considerations.
In some states, vehicles similar to the Solo are designated as autocycles (but again, still a Federal MC).
That's basically for helmet and operator MC license/endorsement purposes only.

The states cannot vary from the Federal compliance requirements. In other words, the NHTSA "Trumps" anything the states want that would vary from the Federal Policy.

As far as helmet and licensing law, that's completely up to the states' discretion.

Elio Motors is still trying for a Federal Autocycle designation with little success.
While Elio says they're trying to protect the public from themselves...
It looks more to me like a way to hamper their competition by requiring x number of air bags, ABS, etc, etc.
In other words, the wording of their proposed legislation is such that if it's not an Elio or an Elio clone, it won't get the designation.
(10-13-2017, 10:30 AM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Jerry basically said that he  anticipates Canadian production to stay between 2 and 10 units per month until the first 5,000 Chinese units come rolling in.
He said that production from other places will then, and I quote, "be added to the stream". So, no, according to what Jerry said, Chinese production will most certainly not stay in China.

EMV has been hiring full-time assemblers. It's hard to believe one assembly line would take 3 days to produce one Solo when EMV says it only takes 4h. Jerry also said the signature series, 1000 cars would be made in Canada. That would take many years at that rate. Still, the updated production schedule suggests 400/quarter. China will do that in a few days. The Chinese market is huge, easily soaking up the proposed production in China.
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
(10-13-2017, 10:52 AM)pogson Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 10:30 AM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Jerry basically said that he  anticipates Canadian production to stay between 2 and 10 units per month until the first 5,000 Chinese units come rolling in.

EMV has been hiring full-time assemblers. It's hard to believe one assembly line would take 3 days to produce one Solo when EMV says it only takes 4h. Jerry also said the signature series, 1000 cars would be made in Canada. That would take many years at that rate. Still, the updated production schedule suggests 400/quarter. China will do that in a few days. The Chinese market is huge, easily soaking up the proposed production in China.

Nope. Let me quote Jerry talking about his I-phone and the cars from China. This is about 5 minutes into the video.

"We designed the Solo to be able to be built anywhere in the world and easily by automobile manufacturers in partnership.
Same way that Apple designs these Impollo Alto... They don't build an Impollo Alto.
Every I-phone... Everybody looking at this (Holds up phone)... This was built in China by Foxcon. I't a brilliant product.
It's a California product manufactured in China. That's what we're doing."

Jerry then talks about the facility in China...

"We're proud to have the first one (the Chinese facility) being set up right now.
Now the first cars... I know that we're going to be seeing the first samples at the end of November/December...
Then the first SHIPMENTS coming around the world from that facility will be in April and May."

18:38... Question #2... "Are the signature series Solos going to be manufactured in Canada?"

Jerry... "Yes. Absolutely."

DiscjockeyDale... But I'm wondering how many of them will because of the later statements about the projected Canadian production rate and he continues...

Jerry... "So we have 1000 signature series cars... So you have 1000 signature series plates. So the cars will be built in BC AND CHINA AND OTHER COUNTRIES.
Wait till you see what happens. That's the exciting part. Solo is a world car , designed, engineered in Vancouver Canada for the world.
(holds up I-phone again) These were designed for the world too. That's how that works. That's how that works."

Regarding the question of, "Will you still be building cars in Canada?"

Jerry..."Yeah, our factory is here. That's where we design, engineer and employ people, so..."

Regarding the question of, "Will building in China bring the price down?"

Jerry... "Probably as much as building in China brought the price down on the I-phone 10.
I think it's $1600 now instead of $1000, right?

Regarding yet another question concerning "Made in Canada?"

Jerry... "The cars will be assembled around the world, again, and shipped all over..."

DiscjockeyDale... Granted it does sound like EMV would like to make the vehicles where they sell the vehicles for the most part.
The only question there is how long before all those additional facilities can become reality? It took a year to reach a deal with the Chinese partner.
And it's going to take another 6 - 7 months before production vehicles (not samples) start arriving here from China.

Jerry... "As we have cars being manufactured in North America, they'll be delivered in North America, China for China, etc.
So a car cannot be labeled made in a country where it's not actually made."

And finally, my question of, "How many signature Solos do you estimate you will produce...
Before the 5000 from China start rolling in around April or May of next year?"

Jerry... "So our factory here in Vancouver produces between 2 and 10 a month.
Now these are all pre-production cars that will go out to some of our early customers like Leonard, Leona, Nancy (gestures to the EasyPark Solo behind him) ... like that.
That's where we're going. And the production that we get from the United States, that we can get from Europe, that we can get from China, that we can get from other areas of the world...
They will be as quickly as possible inserted into the production for various areas. And again, we're not just selling cars in Canada or the United States.
It's a global thing. So 1000 signature Solos... You'll get the car as it comes through. They're all built to the same standard. ISO certified.
So that's an assurance from us."

DiscjockeyDale... There has been absolutely no mention from EMV about plans for a larger Canadian facility.
In my honest opinion, I don't think the present small facility is has anywhere near the capability to produce 400 a quarter regardless of staffing.

In response to a question about how many Solos have been delivered to customers, Jerry said...

"And Henry and the team and Ed and the guys are setting up for faster production. I really believe we'll get to the 10 a month set up soon.
Before we start receiving hundreds from our production in North America , China and elsewhere in early to mid next year."
"So customers have received four cars..."

DiscjockeyDale... At this point I'm going to leave you to your own conclusions about the signature series and the Chinese production staying in China.