Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Innovation Award
[Image: 79dceca2-6c71-49f0-8402-ee60d10ea15c.png]
Electra Meccanica Wins Automotive Innovation Award at CES

VANCOUVER, Jan. 16, 2018 - Canadian auto manufacturer Electra Meccanica (OTCQB: ECCTF) announced today that the Company has been awarded the Automotive Innovation Award by IHS Markit, a world leader in critical information, analytics and expertise, at ShowStoppers® at Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2018, for its new SOLO electric vehicle.

[Image: 87715718-980b-4f2c-a562-c32f923c53b5.jpeg]

The Innovation Awards at ShowStoppers® took place last week in Las Vegas, Nevada. At the event Electra Meccanica presented the SOLO, an all-electric commuter vehicle designed and built in Vancouver, Canada. With a 100-mile range, the single-seater SOLO addresses the needs of the nearly 80 percent of Americans commuting to work alone in their personal vehicle1.

“It is an honor to receive the Automotive Innovation Award from IHS Markit for our all-electric SOLO, the de facto electric car for daily commuters and the environmentally conscious,” said Jerry Kroll, CEO of Electra Meccanica. “We are grateful for the recognition and welcome others to join us in our vision for a cleaner planet.”
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
No AC or ABS. Not very innovative...
(01-18-2018, 03:51 PM)Acentre Wrote: No AC or ABS. Not very innovative...

Carbon composite chassis, seated driver between two rows of cells, front and rear storage, boat-tailed shape, three wheels, belt drive, and single-occupancy are all innovative compared to what's out there now. The belt drive is a bit of a throw-back but it's definitely different from the competition. I've used belt drives for decades and they are reliable and simple. I'd gladly trade a bit of risk on reliability to get a reduction in cost and complexity and weight. Compare that to Leaf which has a regular old automobile transmission with gears in oil. We know that works but it comes at a cost we may not need to bear.

The single occupancy is an innovation for a car. As far as I know only kids' cars and racing cars are single occupancy. The benefits are many: increased visibility, lower weight, cost, width and air-drag, fewer distractions and more responsive handling. I think it's what people notice first and are most curious about. The test drive closes the deal. Very few don't fall in love immediately. It's also a risk as consumers need to separate themselves from the need to drive around empty, but that fits with going green and doing more with less. We live in suburbs and commute. We live in cities a distance from shopping and work. Single occupancy works if we give it some thought. It's not optimal for a young family with children but even then it makes a great second vehicle. Why have a second vehicle driven around empty when Solo exists? Public transportation in cities is practical but it suffers at peak hours and often requires some walking to make ends meet. If you have any luggage walking to public transport especially in cold or wet weather is a problem. A Solo in the driveway is a great idea.
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
[+] 1 user Likes pogson's post
Still no ac or abs.
Why have one seat, when two comes at no penalty?
The Solo needs to evolve to the Sondors.
I don´t mind a single seat. But I do mind having only a single seat in a vehicle that is wide enough to seat two, and is much wider than a motorcycle.
(01-19-2018, 10:20 AM)paravil Wrote: I do mind having only a single seat in a vehicle that is wide enough to seat two, and is much wider than a motorcycle.
That much width provides great stability and it is not enough for two abreast although one could ride in the back with a seat there instead of storage. I prefer the storage as I intend to use Solo for shopping, hunting, and gathering as well as some touring. The space at the back in Solo is also "crush depth".
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
[+] 1 user Likes pogson's post
I believe the innovation part is the production of a vehicle that directly addresses a need not covered by virtually any other product.  Lots of us commute alone, 5 or so days a week, distances less than 60 miles round trip.  Who makes an inexpensive car-like vehicle that directly addresses this?  Something that, when fully developed, will be an all-weather comfortable (heated, cooled, quiet, decent stereo, etc.) means of transport that does not even require one to waste time at gas stations.

This vehicle is not intended for family use or for weekend getaways.  Assuming you have an accessible electrical outlet at home, it has a single-minded focus; to and from work with a bit of shopping thrown in.  Enough frills so as to not compromise a car-like experience, but not hauling around a lot of extras (seats, etc.) either.  If you are into the "green" thing, you can feel you are saving the planet.  If you are cheap, you can save lots of money in reduced operating costs (and keep the miles off of your larger, nicer, normal vehicle).
[+] 3 users Like sbarr's post
(01-19-2018, 03:48 PM)sbarr Wrote:  Who makes an inexpensive car-like vehicle that directly addresses this?  Something that, when fully developed, will be an all-weather comfortable (heated, cooled, quiet, decent stereo, etc.) means of transport that does not even require one to waste time at gas stations.

Well, in the "allows one to commute one person for a relatively low cost (purchase & usage), with benefits from easier parking and gaining time via perks of using the commuter lanes", the motorcycle qualifies. Isn't comfortable year-round, and you do have to stop at a gas station now and then ...

In terms of EVs, there's :

(not quite 'real' production, yet) :
EMV Solo
Arcimoto SRK

(no product, yet) :
Sondors (hopes to ship late '18 or early '19
Triac (around 2010 - went belly-up)
various other companies have "announced" EV 3-wheelers, I'm too tired to think or search

Shipping (or shipped at one time):
SAM (been around since the early '00s)
Corbin's Sparrow (born early 2000s, died shortly thereafter)
Myers Motors NmG (died mid-2000s)
ZAP Xebra (man, was a piece of crap; mid/late 2000s)
Tango (was a great car ... it should be for over $100K)
Think City (2008-12)

More expensive small electrics (but actually exist) :
Smart forTwo (electric drive)
Fiat 500 (electric)
Spark EV

The Solo isn't that "innovative" - heck, they *bought* the basic design years ago and still haven't shipped anything in quantity.
(01-19-2018, 03:48 PM)sbarr Wrote: This vehicle is not intended for family use or for weekend getaways.  Assuming you have an accessible electrical outlet at home, it has a single-minded focus; to and from work with a bit of shopping thrown in.

That is the design-goal but it is useful for weekends too. When my family was young, my wife often spent the weekends with the children while I did errands or went fishing. I was a house-husband at the time and she welcomed time with the kids while I welcomed time away from the kids...

Families and individuals will figure out how to use Solo. Solo is optimal for commuting but even a family with older children commuting to college or diverse high schools will find it useful for things other than errands or going to work. The more Solo is driven the better the deal simply because the cost per person-mile is so low. The gas-guzzler needs to be carrying five people to even come close and then there are those pesky oil-changes, frequent maintenance and the fire-hazard. A family may well need at least one gas-guzzler or multiseat EV but a Solo or two will be useful sooner or later.