Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Battery Unveiling
[Image: 79dceca2-6c71-49f0-8402-ee60d10ea15c.png]
RSVP Now to Attend Our Battery Unveiling!

Electra Meccanica's propulsion engineering team will be showcasing our brand-new battery packs for the first time on Thursday, January 25th.

This state-of-the-art battery technology will drive the SOLO, Tofino, and our push for sustainable commuting, faster and further than ever before!

When: Thursday, January 25th, 6:00 P.M.

Where: 102 E 1st Ave, Vancouver, B.C.

All are invited to join by RSVPing to events@electrameccanica.com.

We hope you can attend!

This is interesting. If anyone is going would you please ask if there are corresponding changes to the charging circuitry, charging times or charging power? It should be possible to charge a larger battery at a higher rate to achieve similar charging times as the smaller battery. It would also be good to know more details about the temperature control system for the battery.

I would expect this new battery would take longer to charge at 120V and about the same at Level 2 if the charging circuit is altered along with the battery. For commuters, it shouldn't make much difference unless a lot of driving is required. For my occasional touring, the greater capacity is welcome as is the temperature control in winter.
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
The announcement says "new", not "higher capacity". First question should be "so ... higher capacity? How much more range, and ... {other questions above}?"
(01-19-2018, 02:07 PM)SparkE Wrote: The announcement says "new", not "higher capacity". First question should be "so ... higher capacity? How much more range, and ... {other questions above}?"

It's already been announced that the new packs are about 25% larger capacity and with temperature control. This event is about showing them off. Weight is not a huge factor for range on level ground so range should be ~125 miles at modest speed.  The ability to easily upgrade batteries has always been a feature of Solo. No need to remove seats etc.
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
(01-19-2018, 02:26 PM)pogson Wrote:
(01-19-2018, 02:07 PM)SparkE Wrote: The announcement says "new", not "higher capacity". First question should be "so ... higher capacity? How much more range, and ... {other questions above}?"

It's already been announced that the new packs are about 25% larger capacity and with temperature control. This event is about showing them off. Weight is not a huge factor for range on level ground so range should be ~125 miles at modest speed.  The ability to easily upgrade batteries has always been a feature of Solo. No need to remove seats etc.

I don't have any links, but I believe this unit is the long-awaited one that replaces the ~70 mile pack that was installed in the prototypes, company cars and the handful of customer cars that were delivered so far. This is the pack that brings the range up to the originally quoted specs. It just so happens that this pack performs better than previously anticipated, hence the 25% increase over the originally projected range. Leona said the new pack has more noticeable pep as well. That post is here somewhere.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(01-19-2018, 02:39 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: I believe this unit is the long-awaited one that replaces the ~70 mile pack that was installed in the prototypes, company cars and the handful of customer cars that were delivered so far. This is the pack that brings the range up to the originally quoted specs.

I think there are two stories here. One is that the prototypes only had one battery-bay occupied simply because they didn't need them full for test-drives etc. The other is that EMV has shopped around for suppliers and they have new cells, new modules and a heating/cooling system to use in Solo. That's what is being put on display. This was mentioned in a recent "CEO update" on facebook.

The original battery packs were meant to be 16.1kWh with 1600 10Wh cells. EMV was making them in-house and only installed half the pack in the first few Solos. The new packs use different cells although still of the same form-factor, but they've also added heating/cooling to deal with diverse climates in which Solo will be used. The added capacity and the ability to heat the battery should maintain spec even in cold conditions around here. For summer driving I expect there will be a substantial increase in range as I drive at modest speeds. Some folks might want the same range at increased speed but each to his own... It's all good news and Solo will be more useful/desirable to consumers.

A feature of Solo is the ease of changing batteries. One needs to disconnect and slide half the battery out to the rear of the vehicle on each side. This advanced battery pack is just taking advantage of that. EMV can easily retrofit the prototypes or early models. So far they haven't published a new range but higher capacity does increase range in my world unless the heating/cooling sucks out way too much juice. I expect it's an intelligent system kicking in at extreme temperatures only or being proportional. It could be connected to the heated seat, for instance... We shall see.
Where can i find information about the "news" ? There is nothing under Events on EM website.
(01-26-2018, 04:05 AM)Lotus Wrote: Where can i find information about the "news" ?  There is nothing under Events on EM website.

I was hoping they would post a video of the battery unveiling, but there's nothing on any of their social media outlets.
There was nothing about yesterday's event in their "Events" section on their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pg/EMVsolo

Are you signed up on their email updates list? https://electrameccanica.com/join-mailing-list/
I also just put that link for the newsletter sign-up page in our 'Resource Library'...
http://www.soloowners.net/showthread.php...d=71#pid71
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(01-26-2018, 04:25 AM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 04:05 AM)Lotus Wrote: Where can i find information about the "news" ?  There is nothing under Events on EM website.

I was hoping they would post a video of the battery unveiling, but there's nothing on any of their social media outlets.
There was nothing about yesterday's event in their "Events" section on their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pg/EMVsolo

Are you signed up on their email updates list? https://electrameccanica.com/join-mailing-list/
I also just put that link for the newsletter sign-up page in our 'Resource Library'...
http://www.soloowners.net/showthread.php...d=71#pid71

Yes, I get the e-mails
[+] 1 user Likes Lotus's post
(01-26-2018, 08:11 AM)Lotus Wrote: Yes, I get the e-mails

They'll probably talk about it sooner or later.
I'll post it as soon as I see something about it.
Please post if you see anything from them first.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post