Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Battery Unveiling
Dale wrote:
“I think the very best course of action is to make EMV aware of every discrepancy you find.” … But that is exactly what some pre-order customers did …. with the result that Kroll decided to strike them from the pre-order list!

A number of people have speculated as to Kroll´s motivation (I put it down to inbred arrogance). But it is very likely also true that pre-order customers of a product that has, as yet, not been fully developed might well be particularly hard to please. Pre-orders are necessary to instil confidence in prospective dealers and large, bulk buyers. Pogson is right in stating that: “lots of corporations assume they will offend X% of consumers/the public and still remain in business ….. The biggest opportunity for EMV to fail is not delivering Solo in bulk before other auto-makers broaden the field.” Once a pre-order customer has placed his order, his usefulness is very limited. Kroll is obviously of the opinion that a critical pre-order customer could voice concerns that might prove damaging. His reaction could well end up as being more damaging than the original, very timid, criticism.
(02-12-2018, 04:24 AM)paravil Wrote: The biggest opportunity for EMV to fail is not delivering Solo in bulk before other auto-makers broaden the field.

I've made that point on more than one occasion on this site. Nissan is inadvertently broadening the field - with a deluge of lease returns from customers. I can wait (for some indeterminate amount of time) and buy a Solo for about US$15,000 - maybe, some day - OR I can go out tomorrow (literally tomorrow) and pay about US$7500 (or less) for a 3-year-old, low-mileage, used LEAF that seats 4 and will go 80+ miles of freeway driving. No, that LEAF won't have the "neat cachet" of the Solo. No, the LEAF won't get as good "mileage" (miles per kWh). I have basically resigned myself to the idea that I will be buying a used LEAF in about 12 months - no company has instilled the slightest amount of confidence in *me* that they will be able to provide a dependable, 1-or-2-seater EV to *me* in that timeframe.

I will maybe end up buying a Solo or SRK in 2021 (or later) - if they ever ship. I would have gladly forked over $15000 in Feb 2017 for a Solo - if I could have gotten one. As it stands, EMV must convince me that they will actually deliver these things long before I spend a second looking at one. So now they have to ship, in quantity, over a multiple-quarter period before I would even consider test-driving one. That's how badly Kroll has f'd up. And I'm telling the same thing to everybody when the subject of small EVs comes up (Sonders, or whatever) - I'm not holding my breath for a Solo, and I'll very likely end up buying something else. I've talked multiple people out of considering a Solo over the past 3 months. (None of them really cared about an enclosed 3-wheeler - they want a small, efficient EV just like I do.) Kroll is continuing to make it easy for me to talk people out of the Solo - "ha! look what he said this month" or "the story has changed yet again - and still no tangible product".
[+] 1 user Likes SparkE's post
(02-12-2018, 05:10 AM)SparkE Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 04:24 AM)paravil Wrote: The biggest opportunity for EMV to fail is not delivering Solo in bulk before other auto-makers broaden the field.

I've made that point on more than one occasion on this site. Nissan is inadvertently broadening the field - with a deluge of lease returns from customers. I can wait (for some indeterminate amount of time) and buy a Solo for about US$15,000 - maybe, some day - OR I can go out tomorrow (literally tomorrow) and pay about US$7500 (or less) for a 3-year-old, low-mileage, used LEAF that seats 4 and will go 80+ miles of freeway driving. No, that LEAF won't have the "neat cachet" of the Solo. No, the LEAF won't get as good "mileage" (miles per kWh). I have basically resigned myself to the idea that I will be buying a used LEAF in about 12 months - no company has instilled the slightest amount of confidence in *me* that they will be able to provide a dependable, 1-or-2-seater EV to *me* in that timeframe.

I will maybe end up buying a Solo or SRK in 2021 (or later) - if they ever ship. I would have gladly forked over $15000 in Feb 2017 for a Solo - if I could have gotten one. As it stands, EMV must convince me that they will actually deliver these things long before I spend a second looking at one. So now they have to ship, in quantity, over a multiple-quarter period before I would even consider test-driving one. That's how badly Kroll has f'd up. And I'm telling the same thing to everybody when the subject of small EVs comes up (Sonders, or whatever) - I'm not holding my breath for a Solo, and I'll very likely end up buying something else. I've talked multiple people out of considering a Solo over the past 3 months. (None of them really cared about an enclosed 3-wheeler - they want a small, efficient EV just like I do.) Kroll is continuing to make it easy for me to talk people out of the Solo - "ha! look what he said this month" or "the story has changed yet again - and still no tangible product".
Spark, curious if you have calculated the cost of leasing a new Leaf as an option to buying used?  Does the cost of fuel savings offset the cost of the lease payment enough to make leasing a viable option?
SOLO #166 reservation refunded 12/14/2017.   OVER & OUT!  
(02-12-2018, 11:32 AM)Rickb Wrote: Spark, curious if you have calculated the cost of leasing a new Leaf as an option to buying used?  Does the cost of fuel savings offset the cost of the lease payment enough to make leasing a viable option?

Answer has been posted in new thread, since this one has gotten off-topic from batteries (and Kroll making uninformed statements about batteries).

Linked :  http://soloowners.net/showthread.php?tid=832
(02-12-2018, 04:24 AM)paravil Wrote: Dale wrote:
“I think the very best course of action is to make EMV aware of every discrepancy you find.” … But that is exactly what some pre-order customers did …. with the result that Kroll decided to strike them from the pre-order list!

The link I provided was Mark West's email address.
I don't believe anyone's had any problems dealing with Mark.

It is certainly everyone's prerogative to either contact him or make excuses not to.

No offense intended. Just sayin'. [Image: clear.png][Image: clear.png]
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(02-12-2018, 04:24 AM)paravil Wrote: Dale wrote:
… But that is exactly what some pre-order customers did …. with the result that Kroll decided to strike them from the pre-order list!

The person who initiated the exchange to which you're referring still has their reservation intact.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.