Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CEO Update 2018-Feb-07
I was surprised there was very little notice. It happened while I watched nothing in particular on the boob tube.

Some points of interest:
  • Solo will appear on Dragons' Den in March.
  • The new battery system can handle -40C and still achieve 160km range.
  • The video on the new battery system which was promised last month is promised again...
  • There will be another open house for the factory.
  • Certification is imminent in USA and by mid-2018 in Canada... sigh...
I guess it's mostly good news but not as good as I wanted. I think that's both my problem and EMV's. If they can't keep a keener like me entertained while they ramp up production, how are they going to maintain the interest of the public? Oh, yes, they are going to show Solo off to bikers... Meanwhile all the normal auto-makers are investing $billions in cranking out SKUs that look like gas-guzzlers and operate like gas-guzzlers but are actually EVs. EMV could miss a wonderful window of opportunity if they don't get certified and out in the market by many thousands of units ASAP.

Solo is a wonderful product but only if I and others get to drive it.
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
It sounds like a generic "no news - just keep waiting for news - we'll have news at a later time" on all fronts.

It's been almost a year and a half since the big hoopla at the "announcement" when the Solos were made available for reservation. I still can't buy one.

Sigh.
(02-08-2018, 12:36 PM)pogson Wrote: I was surprised there was very little notice.

Sorry about the last minute email and PM about it.
Check the SoloOwners.net Calendar (link in the upper left menu bar).
Lynn D and I post the current dates and times of the monthly updates there.

I also run the live feed here in real time at:
http://www.soloowners.net/showthread.php...22#pid3022
I have the latest and previous videos of the live updates there as well.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(02-08-2018, 12:36 PM)pogson Wrote: I was surprised there was very little notice. It happened while I watched nothing in particular on the boob tube.

Some points of interest:
  • The video on the new battery system which was promised last month is promised again...
I guess it's mostly good news but not as good as I wanted. I think that's both my problem and EMV's. If they can't keep a keener like me entertained while they ramp up production, how are they going to maintain the interest of the public? Oh, yes, they are going to show Solo off to bikers... Meanwhile all the normal auto-makers are investing $billions in cranking out SKUs that look like gas-guzzlers and operate like gas-guzzlers but are actually EVs. EMV could miss a wonderful window of opportunity if they don't get certified and out in the market by many thousands of units ASAP.

You might consider the made in the USA Arcimoto FUV while waiting on your SOLO delivery.
SOLO #166 reservation refunded 12/14/2017.   OVER & OUT!  
(02-08-2018, 12:36 PM)pogson Wrote: I was surprised there was very little notice. It happened while I watched nothing in particular on the boob tube.

Some points of interest:

Do you want to be entertained or do you want an affordable electric car?

I'm really not sure how EMV can speed up the certification process or keep people entertained while they are setting up factories in China, making appearances on US national TV and perfecting the manufacturing process at their small shop in New Westminster - all with a skeleton crew. 

I placed my deposit down in Sept. 2016 and have been amazed at the amount of work they have accomplished in the 500 days since. Assembling and delivering 8 units for certification, 10 units for staff/customers to test, getting a listing on the OTCQB, etc, etc....(just see Jerry's Dec 27 blog...he'll let you know). 

The people at EMV seem to be working hard to provide us with a revolutionary vehicle and the least we can do is stop whining, show some patience and perhaps schedule a test drive (and a cheap flight using Swoop and Airbnb) to see the car and ask questions in person. 

Get out of your house to Vancouver, test-drive it and your patience will grow.
Star of the Genie nominated documentary "Beauty Day"
The entire set of website CEO blog reports  including Dec 27th and Feb 7th...
https://electrameccanica.com/category/blog/
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(02-08-2018, 10:58 PM)Zalf Wrote:

Some points of interest:

Do you want to be entertained or do you want an affordable electric car?

I'm really not sure how EMV can speed up the certification process or keep people entertained while they are setting up factories in China, making appearances on US national TV and perfecting the manufacturing process at their small shop in New Westminster - all with a skeleton crew. 

I placed my deposit down in Sept. 2016 and have been amazed at the amount of work they have accomplished in the 500 days since. Assembling and delivering 8 units for certification, 10 units for staff/customers to test, getting a listing on the OTCQB, etc, etc....(just see Jerry's Dec 27 blog...he'll let you know). 

The people at EMV seem to be working hard to provide us with a revolutionary vehicle and the least we can do is stop whining, show some patience and perhaps schedule a test drive (and a cheap flight using Swoop and Airbnb) to see the car and ask questions in person. 

Get out of your house to Vancouver, test-drive it and your patience will grow.

I continue to be entertained by Jerry on Facebook.
SOLO #166 reservation refunded 12/14/2017.   OVER & OUT!  
We can choose to either laugh (at Jerry) or cry.
(02-08-2018, 10:58 PM)Zalf Wrote:   The people at EMV seem to be working hard to provide us with a revolutionary vehicle and the least we can do is stop whining, show some patience and perhaps schedule a test drive (and a cheap flight using Swoop and Airbnb) to see the car and ask questions in person.

I'm at a stage where I don't need answers to questions. I want to drive the Solo from my driveway. The answers I've been getting from EMV seem time-dependent and vague. I can't get my mind around them. Only a few minutes of the online session seems even relevant to me. I'm not interested in all their corporate hooplah. I want to see cars running off assembly lines and one of them coming to me. It's not about patience. I'm a deer hunter. I will wait days for the right deer to come along. It's been a year since my deposit and they still aren't in what I would call production. There's been no evidence of any progress at all in safety certification except EMV's repetitive utterances. They promised video on the battery system. They promised video on crash-testing. They promised a few units per month. They should have ~100 Solos on the road but there are still only a few. Their promises seem frothy.

I've looked into travel to Vancouver and it's way too expensive. I'm retired. I'm asset rich and cash poor. I've reserved assets to convert into a Solo and solar charging system. I travelled for years by air for work and don't ever want to fly again. All I need from EMV is the car. All EMV is giving me is everything but a car. I or my present gas-guzzling piece of junk may die before EMV delivers. I would hate to have to buy a used Leaf. It's not what I need. I would hate to die before or soon after my Solo arrives. Solo fits the bill. I'm in EMV's niche and they won't sell me a car. I would build it myself if they would send me the parts.

As far as I can tell, certification is the holdup. I understand it takes time. I don't understand why they waited so long to start the process. By the time they actually get into production Solo may well be obsolete. They did all the right things to develop the car rapidly and correctly. Why didn't they put the same effort into certification? Are they going to certify a museum-piece eventually? EMV is like a great sprinter with a magnificent start and optimal acceleration who only too late learns that the finish line is in another direction. Finishing matters.
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
Am I wrong in understanding Reisner had assured us that certification in the US and in Canada had been achieved? (Or is it just imminent´?). I do hate being told makebelieve stories.