Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bread Crumbs
Being retired, having time on my hands, and a construction crew having piled tons of earth on the road to the mail-box, I decided to review the status of EMV on the Internet...

Here is where the bread crumbs lead me.

On *.dot.gov the only solid reference I find to EMV/Solo is a letter filed by EMV about the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). That letter is dated August 24, 2017.
"Electra Meccanica Vehicles Corporation is currently manufacturing a 3-wheel all-€electric vehicle, and is assigned WMI 2E9********080*** by the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers Association."

The fields in the VIN also reveal that EMV is classed as a low-volume (<1000 units) manufacturer. We know why...

The CVMA states it issues a WMI upon satisfaction of Canadian safety requirements including issuance of a NSM (National Safety Mark).
"After compliance with the Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, Transport Canada will issue the manufacturer a National Safety Mark (NSM) and will at that time authorize the CVMA to issue a World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI) code."

The letter also contains some obsolete specs: "8.64 kWh". I guess that's consistent with prototype(s) shipped to USA for display/testing.

So, I'm puzzled. Either EMV does or does not have safety certification. The existence of a VIN valid for admission to USA suggests it does. However, Canada's database of NSMs shows nothing for EMV/Solo.

Canada says, "The time it takes to process a NSM application depends on the quality of the application provided. The entire review process takes four to six weeks once we receive all of the information we requested." Some details on the process are here.

Can Leona or some other person in sight of Solo look for a NSM? It should look like this[Image: faq_e.1.jpg], with the 000 in the centre being a unique alphanumeric code for the manufacturer. It's normally in the edge of the door-opening.
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
[+] 1 user Likes pogson's post
(02-14-2018, 01:35 PM)pogson Wrote: Being retired, having time on my hands, and a construction crew having piled tons of earth on the road to the mail-box, I decided to review the status of EMV on the Internet...

Here is where the bread crumbs lead me.

On *.dot.gov the only solid reference I find to EMV/Solo is a letter filed by EMV about the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). That letter is dated August 24, 2017.
"Electra Meccanica Vehicles Corporation is currently manufacturing a 3-wheel all-€electric vehicle, and is assigned WMI 2E9********080*** by the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers Association."

The fields in the VIN also reveal that EMV is classed as a low-volume (<1000 units) manufacturer. We know why...

The CVMA states it issues a WMI upon satisfaction of Canadian safety requirements including issuance of a NSM (National Safety Mark).
"After compliance with the Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, Transport Canada will issue the manufacturer a National Safety Mark (NSM) and will at that time authorize the CVMA to issue a World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI) code."

The letter also contains some obsolete specs: "8.64 kWh". I guess that's consistent with prototype(s) shipped to USA for display/testing.

So, I'm puzzled. Either EMV does or does not have safety certification. The existence of a VIN valid for admission to USA suggests it does. However, Canada's database of NSMs shows nothing for EMV/Solo.

Canada says, "The time it takes to process a NSM application depends on the quality of the application provided. The entire review process takes four to six weeks once we receive all of the information we requested." Some details on the process are here.

Can Leona or some other person in sight of Solo look for a NSM? It should look like this[Image: faq_e.1.jpg], with the 000 in the centre being a unique alphanumeric code for the manufacturer. It's normally in the edge of the door-opening.

I will look tomorrow